Thursday, January 27, 2005

Giant Steps (The music)

I took some time and listened to the CD to which my blog is named for. (Giant Steps by John Coltrane) Now that man can play jazz. wooh. I just sat in my living room with the lights off (although it was stll fairly light in there) and soaked it in. You ever do that? It's amazing to me how differently the music sounds with the lights off and no one is around.
It actually made me miss playing my own saxophone for the first time in, I don't know, at least a year.

As I read Travis's blog (If I knew how to do that cool trick where you type my name and it was a link to my blog I'd do it, but I can't. ok well I learned and fixed my blog. Thank you Ben) about turning 25, I realized that I have started to notice things changing in my own life, too. Strange how that happens. You let the days of your life go by and change happens, most of the time, so gradually that you don't even really notice it happening. I noticed that too about Coltrane's CD. The same theme runs through out the entire set yet changes just enough that by the last song you know it's not quite the same, but can't remember exactly what it sounded like in the first track.
Nicely done Coltrane. Nicely done.