Monday, September 26, 2005

The weekend

Heidi was here this weekend to visit. It was a really great weekend. I was so glad that she came and so sad that she had to leave so soon after she got here. See her blog for more details. She's a much better writer and her stories will be funnier. :)

While she was here she essentially forced me into filling out a profile for eharmony. I'd like to say that she really had to twist my arm to do it, but she didn't. The profile was actually fairly interesting. I haven't ever thought about some of the questions that they asked me (in order to give me "matches"). So that part I liked. But I got to thinking about the whole thing and didn't like what I discovered. Let me explain. My "matches" sounded great, like we'd have a really great time getting to know each other. But obviously they want to meet girls and I would like to meet boys, so why can't we just find each other on our own? Where are these people in real life? I visited a couple of bars this weekend with Heidi and all I saw were slimy men hitting on under-dressed women. I don't want anything to do with that. so these "matches of mine" sure weren't there, so where are you? Where do I meet you without having to have someone running a computer program introduce us.
It seems alarming to me that you have to pay what seems like an obscene amount of money per month to have different "levels" of communication with these people. I won't do it. I just refuse. I'm not saying that it can't work or that it wouldn't even work for me... But having to pay to meet people? I don't think so.