Sunday, March 13, 2005

Great and I really mean Great Jazz

Last night Jen and I saw Keith Jarrett and his trio play some incredible music last night. There is something huge about watching 3 people who have been playing together for 30 years make music together. They exemplified how the body of Christ can be like. Each one taking their unique style and gift and bringing it together to make something that moves and changes everything around it. It was incredible.
Jazz is like nothing else I've ever encountered. These guys were making music up in front of me. I was hearing a once in a lifetime concert. It will never be the same again. Man, it was great. Mr. Jarrett can really play. The music really just takes him over and he can't help but have every fiber within him make this music happen. He stands up and moves to the music while playing, he sings/groans while playing because he just can't help it. It's really awesome.
As I was watching this concert Romans 8:26 took on new meaning for me. (The "Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express) I really think that the Spirit can just as easily be groaning through music. I don't know if these men in their 60s and 70s know Jesus, but the Spirit was moving in that room last night. It was like no music I have ever experienced. It was worth every penny.