Monday, March 14, 2005

new dreams

Ok well not totally new but kinda.
I was talking with Susan the other day over great coffee. I discovered that deep down I'd like to teach a high school class about entering life with valuable skills. Let me better explain... I graduated from high school and went to college and had to learn a lot of valuable skills such as balancing my check book, having and dealing with a credit card, how to sew a button back on a shirt, mending a hole in a shirt, cooking for myself, etc etc.
Now I was lucky because I have parents that taught me some of these things growing up. But some people aren't that lucky.
During college we occasionally had a speaker come and talk to us about debt and credit cards which I always thought was very valuable. I just recently learned about what insurance is really about (I mean I guess it helps that I sell insurance). But for years I just paid the bill and had no idea what I was paying for.
I think we could start earlier to teach young people how to manage adulthood. Because lets face it, It's hard. There is a lot of stuff to take care of and know how to do.
Maybe you could help me think of some other things that I should incorporate into a curriculum. Got any ideas?